26 July 2011

Nautilus Specimen Mini Porthole Steampunk Notebook

How's that for a long title? I was trying to think of what I would call this if I were to list it in my Etsy shop (which I might do).


I worked on this on Sunday (it's Idea Two from this post), and finished it up last night. It's a tiny round blank book, hand-bound in deep blue goatskin and decorative paper, with a silver-on-blue embossed nautilus shell on the cover (I hand-cut a rubberstamp that I used to print the design--I meant to include a photo of it in this post, but forgot, so it'll have to wait till a future post). The endpapers (which I alo neglected to photograph) are a mottled blue with gold marbling.


The binding is medieval sewn-on-cords (hence the raised bands on the spine), so it's super-strong. It includes a recycled tea tin, lined with midnight blue velvet and embellished with faux rivets to make it look like a porthole.


The bottom is lined with brassy metallic paper and decorated with another nautilus embossed in silver on dark blue paper.


The book nestles snugly inside the tin.


And closed, it's like viewing a specimen through a porthole.


I think, if I do this again, I will make the book a solid colour and mount the "specimen" closer to the middle. The division into two colours detracts from the nautilus in a way I didn't intend. And that's why I might not list it in my Etsy shop just yet. I might make a new book for it first. Or I might just keep it for myself--at least until I have the supplies for another tin (I have an empty tin, in brass colour, but the only "rivets" I have are also brass, and I want a contrast).

It *is* terribly cute.


Also, I think I need some more large size white plastic erasers to make more shell cross-section stamps.

3 comments:

Hollis G. said...

I think it's wonderful! Great job and appreciate your sharing it.

V said...

Lovely! I've always had a soft spot for round books but for some odd reason have never made one.

Unknown said...

Thanks! I'm feeling ridiculously pleased with myself :)