15 June 2004

50 Graphic Novels, er, Seqential Art Books

I'm going to have to change the title of this list, since one of the books I've just added (and another coming up) is non-fiction. Come to think of it, at least one of the books already on this list is non-fiction. So what to call it instead of "Graphic Novels"? "Graphic Books" doesn't sound right. "Sequential Art Books"? Better.

  1. InuYasha volume 2 by Rumiko Takahashi. Did I mention that InuYasha reappeared on TeleToon? Yay. And I just discovered that, in a poorly-lit display case at the back of the store, our local comic shop has InuYasha DVDs. They ain't cheap, mind you, but it's nice to know they're there. Anyway, volume two picks up where volume one left off, oddly enough, and continues the rollicking adventures. This series really appeals to me. I think it's the guy trying to be tough who's really a nice guy inside. Which isn't to say he isn't actually tough, too. Er . . . I think maybe I'll just stop now.
  2. Aria volume 1 by Kozue Amano. I picked this up on a whim because it had a pretty cover. Also because I noticed that the characters visit an Inari shrine part way through, and buy some Inarizushi to eat. Inarizushi is next on my list of types of sushi to learn how to make. The book turned out to be a gentle story, full of introspection and lovely scenery. There isn't a whole lot of tension, so it's not exactly a riveting story, but I really, really enjoyed it. I'll be looking for the next volume.
  3. Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud. I've been meaning to read this since it first came out, and now I finally have. The library copy (which I had to request from another branch) is so well-used that the cover is disintegrating. And I can see why; it's a fabulous book. Even if you don't read comics, I highly recommend this book. It's an education, and very, very interesting. I've also got Reinventing Comics by the same author (also requested from another branch of the library)--it'll show up on this list soon. More gushing about how great this book is can be found in my review. And some interesting things I learned while reading it will be the topic of a near-future blog entry.

I discovered, while trying to locate volume 3 of Preacher (I have vols 1, 2, 4, and 5), that the library hasn't got quite as good a selection of graphic novels as I originally thought. I was fooled by the complete series of Sandman, Elfquest, InuYasha and Ranma 1/2 (most of which are not at my local branch). Sigh. At least they have some comics.

No comments: